Spring is definitely here in Santa Barbara. As we head into a holiday weekend popular for BBQ's here in the States I got to thinking about all the food: chips, hamburgers, hotdogs, dips, cookies, etc... that will be consumed this weekend.
I thought to myself, "my gosh we eat a lot!" hahaha, but even more than that I thought, "if the right measures are taken, we can still enjoy our cake and not have it punish us at the waist line."
To help you all enjoy bbq's, parties, friends, family, and food I wanted to share with you all 10 of My Best Calorie Killing Tips that I have been teaching clients for years.
Do your best to incorporate these tips into your life. If you do you will not only be able to enjoy the good food, but you will enjoy it in a way knowing that you are in control of the decisions you are making.
Happy BBQ-ing. :)
- Always eat your veggies first. Not only will you be ensuring the consumption of something nutritious, you will be less likely to overeat when you move onto the main course.
- Drink Lots of Water. On days that you know run the risk of being high calorie consumption days, drink extra water. It will help fill you up and the need to pee will keep you from sitting in front of your plate, constantly shoveling food into your face.
- Stay away from the chips and dip. This is where most are the most vulnerable. They provide nothing but mindless snacking.
- If your the host, consolidate into one bowl. I have been to parties where snack food is found at every corner making it all to easy to eat. If your the host help your guests out and keep it in one place. Fighting through the crowd will help curve the temptation and calories.
- Have your dressing on the side instead of tossed in with your salad.
- When it comes to condiments stick with just your favorite, don't overdo it and have four different spreads.
- Chew vs Inhale. If you take your time to chew your food it is scientifically proven that you will consume much less than the person who can't keep their fork away from their mouth. Chew each bite 20 times as a starting point.
- Make sure you exercise on party day. Most of us are going to be less likely to put a bunch of junk back into our bodies after we just spent a lot of time, blood, sweat, and tears burning it off.
- Remain standing and move often. Standing is a more dynamic movement than sitting, Plus if you are constantly moving around and mingling you are burning way more calories than the person slouching in the chair.
- Play games, lots of them. Parties are a great time to act silly and I encourage you to participate in the silliness. Games bring out the kid inside of us and what do kids do much better than adults??? Expend energy!!! Let loose and party like a kid, play lots of games and expend lots of energy.
Enjoy the party,