A few quick updates/reminders before I get to the blog
1 - Remember, next Tuesday, October 1st, is the start of the "Life is Beautiful" Challenge. I am really excited to see the photos you all share. Please click here for more information. Remember this is a global event so you can participate wherever you are in the world.
2 - Thank you everyone who has taken the time to "like," "subscribe," provide me with feedback, and forward on my Youtube videos. It means a lot to me when you all do that. Thank You! :)
Ok Blog time...
This morning at about 5:25am I was in the kitchen doing a little cooking when I heard a horrible shriek. I went outside to try to figure out what was going on and then I heard it again followed by the unmistakeable barking noises of coyotes.
Since the noise sounded like it was coming from a residential area below me, I can only assume that someone's cat or dog was turned into breakfast for a group of hungry coyotes.
I felt so bad for the poor animal that was killed. I thought to myself its' last moments must have been so frightening and so painful. I thought about the owners and how they will feel when they wake up in the morning and realize that the family cat or dog cannot be found.
I kept thinking about the pain the animal must have felt and the pain the family will no doubt feel when they figure out what happened.
I wanted to be mad at the coyotes. Even though I can understand why they made the kill, to eat, to survive, I kept thinking: "What if I had a cat or a dog and they had killed mine, how would I feel?"
I kept thinking about pain and then I started thinking about us, people, humans... I started thinking about why we cause pain, specifically to each other. Why do we hurt each other with our words? Why do we harm one another with our actions? Why is there war? Why is there anger? Why do we say we will do one thing and then do another? Why????
Here we are, human beings, supposedly the most highly evolved species on the planet, yet we do more to cause pain, in many more ways than the coyotes do, why?
Then it hit me - we are just like the coyotes, we cause pain to survive.
Think about it; there is no other logical explanation for why we do what we do other than our survival.
When we gossip, or talk badly about someone behind their back what do we get out of it? We get the satisfaction of knowing in that moment that we:
- Belong to a group
- Are Right and if we are right that means we are ok and if we are ok that means we do not need to change.
- Share a common opinion/thought/feeling with others
- As gossipers aka members of a group we have superiority over the one we are gossiping about
- Are protected from ever having to examine the inadequacy/insecurity we feel inside of ourself that leads us to gossip about the other person.
- Gossip about that person to protect these inadequacies/insecurities because that person threatens them in some way shape or form.
- If 1 - 5 are true then we can safely say that we gossip to survive.
- Will inevitably need to gossip again as we will only feel good as long as the buzz of the most recent gossip session lasts.
- To ensure the protection and survival of their people
- To ensure the protection and survival of their way of life
- To ensure the protection and survival of their views/beliefs
- To ensure the protection and survival of their economic interests
- To ensure the protection and survival of their power
- To ensure the protection and survival of their status