I know we as a community can log more than 10 Million Steps in the month of March. Further, I also know that each of us has a tremendous potential that exists within us all. When the potential is put to use, there is virtually nothing anyone of us cannot do.
One of my goals this year is to travel.
Another goal I have is to do my first seminar in whatever form that may be.
So my challenge to you all, my fellow members of the 1 Year 1000 Challenge Community is this: lets make the challenge 1 Billion Steps in March. If, we as a collective community can achieve the goal of over 1 Billion total steps for the month of March, then I will fly out to the community that logs the most steps ( late April or early May, date to be determined based on 1000 Challenge Communities Commitment to 1 Billion Steps) and hold my first seminar.
Anyone else who wants to join would be more than welcome. If the winning area is in Europe then we will hold the seminar sometime tentatively in the summer when I think I will be in Europe. If it is in another country we will plan a future date (darn I guess that just means I will have to travel more!!!).
So 1 Billion steps in March. Can we do it? Are you all up for the Challenge?
Ok to make this happen fairly we need to have a few rules.
- This is not only on an honor system, but this is also something that is very important to me. No cheating!! Cheaters will not only be disqualified from the competition, but they will also be barred from the celebration and seminar.
- In order to help ensure the integrity a picture of your pedometer along with the local newspaper, a website, etc... needs to be taken everyday just so you have a running log that if needed we can refer back to to validate your total steps.
- A weekly picture of you and the total number of steps you logged for the week needs to be posted every Sunday on the 1 Year 1000 Challenge page. Early or late submissions will not be honored unless you write to me prior with a reason why you will not be able to post on a Sunday.
- The winning geographic area will be determined by a state first, then a major city level. The same applies to our Community Members outside of the USA.
- So for example there can be a group of people from Los Angeles and a group from San Francisco. If the San Francisco group logs 20 Million steps and the Los Angeles group logs 18 Million the seminar would be held in San Francisco.
- I will personally challenge myself to reach a minimum of 400,000 steps (which is about 6 miles a day) for the month.
- That's all I can really think of as far as rules (I am not a big rule person). Honesty is most important.
- According to the website, "The Walking Site" there are approximately 2000 steps for every mile which means about 10,000 steps for every 5 miles.
- 1 Billion Steps will = approximately 500,000 miles. That is the equivalent of walking around the circumference of the earth more than 20 TIMES!!!
- To achieve 1 Billion Steps, we will need more people!
- If each person averages 2000 steps a day we will need 16,130 people walking 2000 steps a day to reach 1 Billion
- If each person averages 4000 steps a day we will need 8,065 people walking 4000 steps a day to reach 1 Billion
- If each person averages 6000 steps a day we will need 5, 377 people walking 6000 steps a day to reach 1 Billion.
- If each person averages 8000 steps a day we will need 4,033 people walking 8000 steps a day to reach 1 Billion
- If each person averages 10000 steps a day we will need 3226 people walking 10000 steps a day for reach 1 Billion
- and so on....
- As of this writing we have 141 people who have committed to the Challenge on Facebook. If each of you 141 people recruited 5 friends to do take this challenge with you and each of those 5 friends recruited 5 people there would be a total of 3,525 people plenty to achieve the goal of 1 Billion
- Think of the benefits:
- You are going to be more active which helps achieve health and fitness goals.
- If you are moving more you will most likely be losing weight.
- You will be improving your cardiovascular health as well as your cholesterol levels etc..
- In hopes of recruiting more people I will be sending Michelle Obama and her "lets move" campaign messages on twitter daily in hopes that they see what we are trying to do and help us spread the word and recruit more people. If you would like to join in this endeavor she is: @MichelleObama and lets move is @letsmove
- Create a signup sheet on your office bulletin board
- Recruit family members.
- Ask people at your local church to take the challenge with you.
- Set a goal, say 400,000 steps, and ask people in your community to pledge money for each step you take. Then donate all the money you raise to a charity.
- HAVE FUN WITH THIS!
No pictures today, but I will leave you with this:
:Never tell me the skies the limit when there are footprints on the moon." We have Zero Limits everyone. We can achieve 1 Billion Steps.
I hope to see many of you soon so we can celebrate our achievement together.
10 Million / 1 Billion Steps Challenge