Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Feel the Burn (out)

Feel the Burn(out)

This week started out rough. I’m fairly certain I overdid it on the physical activity over the past weekend. Between a Saturday morning circuit class, running around like a mad woman during a two hour soccer game the same day, and then attempting a training run the next morning that I had to cut short, I was totally spent. I was excited about all this planned activity, thinking how great it was to be burning all these calories, but not thinking about how it would affect my body, mind, and ability to get through the rest of the week.

I took Monday off, but Tuesday morning was the first time in for as long as I can remember that I didn’t have fun working out with my regular group. I know rest is important, but I’m starting to realize how much, and hopefully you know or can learn too. I still struggle with the “feeling guilty for taking a day off” thing, but how bummed would I be if I got a serious injury that put me out for a month, or six? I’d be super miserable, and would probably take to hibernating.


Proper rest and recovery days require a bit more effort than sitting on the couch eating peanut butter from a jar. I’m not an expert, but I know when I use my foam roller it makes a world of difference in my level of soreness and recovery time. Same with staying hydrated, stretching, icing and heating, and low impact activity like hiking or pilates during your down time. You want to feel fresh and excited to work out again, not dread it because you also gave your diet a day off and binged on pizza.

Here is a great article I found by Jeff Kuhler that breaks down proper recovery technique very simply.

http://breakingmuscle.com/mobility-recovery/7-essential-elements-rest-and-recovery#.UVSIZu_HI78.email 


This stuff works and you’ll be physically and mentally stronger because of it.


Happy Reading!

Katie

1 comment:

  1. This one is very nicely written and it contains many useful facts. I am happy to find your distinguished way of writing the post. Now you make it easy for me to understand and implement. Thanks for sharing with us

    Personal Training Phoenix

    ReplyDelete