Sunday, February 22, 2015

My 50 Shades of Grey Experience

Hey there!


I wanted to share with you my experience watching the movie, "50 Shades of Grey," but before I get to that, I have one very important update to share with you.

One week from today is the start of the One Billion Steps in March challenge.  Please please please invite your friends and family to participate in this event.  To sign up, invite your friends, and learn all about the event, click here.

I have been hearing about the cultural phenomena "50 Shades of Grey" for 3 or 4 years now. During that time, several of my female friends have tried to get me to read the book.  Two and a half years ago I decided I would.  I was curious about what all the hype was about and what seemed to have so many women all excited.  I made it through half of the book... I just couldn't seem to get into it.

Recently I was invited to watch the "50 Shades of Grey" movie.  Again, my curiosity was perked as I had heard so many mixed things about it.  Some were calling it erotic and liberating, others called it a set back for women claiming it glorified abuse and violence towards women.

I watched the movie and thought as a movie it was nothing more than Ok.  I found it to be mildly entertaining and the chemistry between the two leads seemed forced at best.

I did not agree with the assertion that it glorified violence for women nor did I feel it was a setback, in fact I thought exactly the opposite.  I found it refreshing to see a movie where it was ok for a woman to be open with exploring her sexuality.  I also found it fascinating that both the movie and the books seemingly connected with so many women in this respect.

I consider myself to be a student of humanity, meaning I am always wanting to better learn and better understand people.  I believe that the better I understand people the more effective it will make me at helping them. :)

Culturally it seems like it has always been ok for men to be strong, confident, and sexually open.  Women, in popular culture, have not always had the same portrayal, with a few exceptions (Sharon Stone in "Basic Instinct" is one that comes to mind.)

I have been continually disappointed that we as a society seem to hold onto prevailing stereotypes between men and women when it comes to sexuality.  It's ok in movies, in books, and in life for men to be sexually open and curious, but if women are they get the label of "slut" or some other nonsense.

While I did not think 50 Shades of Grey was the best movie, what I do think it did, and I am grateful it did this, was to present a strong female who showed it was ok for women to be sexual. Not only was it ok, it was fun, it was exciting, and it was ok for it to be those things.

Have you seen the movie, what do you think?  Let me know, I am excited to hear your thoughts?


Carpe Diem,

Jesse

http://www.jessebrisendine.com
http://www.facebook.com/1year1000challenge

5 comments:

  1. Wow better review then most.
    This movie or version of it is lame first of all they rushed it. They could have got better actors for the roles, they forgot about the story and just made a trash hold of some sexy scenes in few minute for a 2h movie. Like all the hot scenes suppose to be on screen in 2 hs and hell with the story. Books are much better for this type of a book. good that is much talked subject now as for women beeing called names well that will never stop. Not in this lifetime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow better review then most.
    This movie or version of it is lame first of all they rushed it. They could have got better actors for the roles, they forgot about the story and just made a trash hold of some sexy scenes in few minute for a 2h movie. Like all the hot scenes suppose to be on screen in 2 hs and hell with the story. Books are much better for this type of a book. good that is much talked subject now as for women beeing called names well that will never stop. Not in this lifetime.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I honestly have no desire to see the movie because like you, I couldn't get through the book and only because the character of Anastasia was ridiculous. While I know some women can get through college without much or any sexual experience....I was one.....I couldn't agree with her completely cluelessness, coupled with being a pro at certain things when she finally got in there. I just yelled "Oh COME ON!!" and put the book down immediately. BUT, I agree with you Jessie in that if women take this and run with it in opening up their sexual curiosity and exploration, then I'm all for it. It is unfair to be labeled a slut because we enjoy sex or want to try new things. I'm comfortable with my sexuality and love exploration but I know many who are not. So if women find a new, more daring side of themselves, as well as spicing up their relationships, then its a win-win!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Kira and Serban for taking the time to share your thoughts. Do you think popular culture, like 50 Shades of Grey, can positively advance sexuality perceptions of women?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Women have always been openly curious and explorative about their sexuality. I think modern society finds it uncomfortable and difficult to accept women being visibly expressive about their sexuality. Ancient Egypt had no such hang-ups! So for me, something has been lost in translation from then and until now. As for popular culture advancing positive sexuality perceptions of women, sure it can. If nothing else, it provides food for thought :-)

      Delete