Saturday, July 6, 2013

Airports... Why they should be the World's Most Positive Places

Wazzz Up Everyone!

I was in an airport a couple of weeks ago.  I love airports because if I am there that means I am going somewhere, and I LOVE going places.

I also love being in airports because I think they provide the ultimate people watching experience.

One thing I have noticed is that airports seem to have a lot of negative vibes in them, why?

Is it because we are bombarded with more news reports about the evil acts the TSA has plotted for us vs. hearing more stories about the family reunion between the solider returning home from war and his loved ones?

Is it because people dread going to the airport because they just know the airline is going to lose their luggage?

Or, is it because people hate going to airports because they are 100% certain that the weather God's and airlines are conspiring together to make sure every single one of their flights are delayed?

Is it one of these in particular, or is it a combination of all the above?

Call me crazy, but I have this theory about airports and it goes something like this:

I believe that 99.9999% of the time that you are at an airport should be a positive.  The 0001% of the time is only if there was some sort of horrible catastrophe, like a plane crash (which sadly as of this writing, there was just a plane crash earlier today at SFO).

What do I mean by that?

Well think about it, if you are at an airport to go on vacation, that is positive right?  If you are at an airport because your work is sending you on a business trip, that means you have a job, and that is positive, right?  If you are traveling to visit family members, friends, old college pals, etc... that means you have people out there who, at the very least, like you, and that is positive right?  Even if you were traveling because someone was sick, dying, or had died, at least you have the means to go and travel to see that person/pay your respects (after all many people do not), and that is positive, right?

I travel a decent amount and, while I do not know everything there is to know about traveling, I can summarize this little secret I am going to let all you in on:

There is not an evil head of TSA out there dreaming up ways to piss you off.  The ticket agent does not wake up fantasizing about how they are going to ruin your day.  The airlines do not build their daily agenda around losing your luggage.  AND, this is the big one, the weather Gods and airlines do not cook up a storm especially for you, just to delay you for another couple hours.

At the end of the day, airports are just like anything else and any place else in life, they are a place, an opportunity, where you can choose to seek out, find, and focus on the positive, or you can look for, create, and focus on the negative.

The choice is yours.

Whatever you choose, there is really only one choice that is going to truly leave you feeling happier and more fulfilled.

I humbly borrow a line from Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, when I say this and encourage you to, "Choose, but choose wisely."

Carpe Diem,

Jesse

2 comments:

  1. I totally feel you on this! I LOVE airports because it means I am travelling! I always try to look at things like this: If my flight is delayed, I am simply being gifted with the time and opportunity for something else. It is up to me to take advantage of that and make it a positive experience.

    I also try to live my life with that attitude. Everyone is going through something and having someone be nice and give you a smile can mean so much. It always makes my day when I have people tell me that I have made their day/experience better just by smiling and being friendly.

    Carpe Diem, Mr. B.
    - Kimberly R.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your thoughts Kimberly! Thanks for sharing them :)

    ReplyDelete