Monday, November 10, 2014

An Adventure Within an Adventure

I recently returned from my first ever Fall Foliage tour of New England - it was amazing.  I wanted to share with you a little bit about my adventure.  First, a couple important updates:

Save the date!!

Sunday, November 23rd, at 7:30am PST is when the next #Youtube chat will be held

The topic will be: How to keep your spirits up and attitude positive when others are unconsciously bringing your down.

You can join the chat by clicking here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgbHRe1ghso

Secondly, boy I am really excited about this one: On Monday November 24th or Tuesday November 25th I will be opening enrollment for the Zero Limits Mastermind.  (Insert happy dance).  More information about the program will be coming out over the next two weeks in addition to what I have been sharing on the 1 Year 1000 Challenge page.  This will be a year long program that is open to those of you who are fully committed to making 2015 your most epic year yet.

As many of you know I love to travel and do it as often as I can.  Whether it is for business or for pleasure I love going on adventures, making new memories, and creating new experiences.

As I mentioned earlier I recently visited New England, specifically Massachusetts, Rhode Island, and Connecticut.  For years I have wanted to visit New England in the Fall to take in some of the fall foliage.  This year I finally made it happen.  I met up with one of my best friends and we embarked on a multi day multi State road trip.

What was especially fun is the adventure within the adventure we created.

The first night we were in Boston Massachusetts and it was cold (maybe not that cold for most of you, but keep in mind I live in Santa Barbara AND I am a weenie when it comes to the cold) so we sought refuge in a local restaurant/bar.

As we were sitting there ordering our food it turned out that the place we were in happened to be one of the oldest restaurants in the USA.  This intrigued me so a quick google search later and I discovered this list: the 10 Oldest restaurants in America.  What I was excited to see is that I had already been to the one in New York and since I was at the present one in Boston, I had two out of the 10. Further reading revealed that three of the remaining eight were located in Connecticut and Rhode Island. 

The idea was born to visit these and make a little mini adventure of visiting all the top 10 within the next couple years.

I have found that being flexible in my travel plans, meaning, being able to let go of an itinerary and go with where the road takes me when time allows, really opens up the possibility of new and unplanned experiences for me. 

As the road took us through miles of beautiful fall leaves and fall colors, it also took us to some delicious places to eat.  Furthermore I already have one restaurant picked out for when I visit New Orleans next March with the Exercise Accountability Group, as well as one to visit next time I am in Colorado (which I am plan on doing next year as well).

AND one final surprise that came as an unplanned adventure - I participated in and completed my first 5k race in over three years.  This was... surreal.  As many of you know I have had numerous health challenges over the last few years that have really limited much of what I have been able to do physically.  Running this race was a significant step in the healing process for me.

To sum up: whether it is travel, work, play, or anything else limitations (and your belief in them) will only do just that, limit you.  Even as I go through the healing process physically I acknowledge that I have some physical limitations at this time, but I do not believe it will always be that way. In fact I believe the opposite that I am healing, I will heal, and that the day will come where I will be better than ever. Along the way I focus on what I can vs what I am temporally unable to.

Oh, and if you find yourself in the middle of an adventure remember to stay flexible and open to new experiences.  Breaking away from the itinerary may lead to your most memorable moment(s) of the experience.

Enjoy the pictures.

Carpe Diem,

Jesse

www.jessebrisendine.com

www.facebook.com/1year1000challenge
























4 comments:

  1. I LOVE spontaneous, I LOVE open itineraries, and I LOVE seeing beautiful things. This sounds like the PERFECT vacation to me. Well...I love lighthouses, so I would have to stop and see a few while I was there too, but that's all part of the adventure! I am SO happy for you that you and your friend had such a wonderful time together. Thank you for sharing your trip with us. You work so hard, so you deserve to play hard too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great photos. Inspirational words as always :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great pictures. My husband and I like to get "lost" when we are somewhere new because we end up finding the unexpected.

    ReplyDelete